If you watch the news you are aware that last weekend there were several cases of extreme misbehavior and rudeness on the part of two celebrities. Maybe the South Carolina congressman, Mr. Wilson, began this trend with his disrespect of the President and his refusal to apologize to his colleagues in the House.
One incident involved the famous tennis pro Serena Williams having a "hissy fit" in front of everyone and involved the use of words that no one's mother wants to hear. Now, I don't play tennis, it must be frustrating, but talk about bad sportsmanship. Then, during an awards show, Kanye West, a rap singer (I think) took the microphone out of Taylor Swift's hand to proclaim to the audience how he did not believe she should win. He was booed, by the audience and not allowed to perform himself, but what made him feel he had the right to do that?
I had these things on my mind, plus it was playing on the TV as I sat in a doctor's office waiting room yesterday for most of the afternoon. (We won't even discuss how our time is abused waiting for medical care--that's another post). This waiting room had about 25 people scattered around and as I watched their behavior, I decided there are some EVERYDAY misbehaviors going on--most of them involving cell phones. At one point there was a lady to my left, we were separated by three chairs and a table, that was having a very loud conversation with her friend. Everyone in the room was being subjected to this. Before she finished this ten minute talk the lady across the aisle began her own conversation. Now, there was a big empty hallway just a few feet from both of these ladies and they could have talked out there without bothering anyone-- but no! When the second lady finished her conservation she began going through the magazines in the doctor's office and ripping out some of the pages and putting them in her purse. I don't guess she thought that anyone else might like to read that article or that maybe that was not her property. Isn't that theft or vandalism?
As parents and teachers we try to teach our children to be respectful and have some civility, but there are some celebrities and everyday fellow citizens that are being very bad examples and making our job even harder. Is it just me? Where are Miss Manners and Emily Post when you need them?
Wednesday, September 16, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




2 comments:
You go girl! No, it's not just you. I've been thinking the same thing all week!
I think it is very sad how so many things like manners, politeness and consideration for others have gone down hill since I was a child.
Post a Comment