Saturday, February 28, 2009

Still Alice

"You're so beautiful," said Alice. "I'm so afraid of looking at you and not knowing who you are."

"I think that even if you don't know who I am someday, you'll still know that I love you."

"What if I see you, and I don't know that you're my daughter, and I don't know that you love me?"

"Then, I'll tell you that I do, and you'll believe me."


This week I read Still Alice by Lisa Genova. It was a tough book to read because it is very personal for me. The story is about a 49 year old Harvard professor, who realizes she has Alzheimer's disease. My grandmother, aunt, uncle and mother-in-law all had or in my uncle's case has Alzheimer's disease. I have seen up close and personal the toll it takes on the individual and the caregivers. At one point in this story, Alice wished for cancer, because she said at least that was a disease she could fight. It is a very depressing subject and this book may not be for everyone, but I think the story was told in a way that gives insight into how a person diagnosed with this disease feels. It might also just cause you to be thankful for each new day and make you spend more time just enjoying it!

No comments: