Thursday, December 4, 2008

I'm Just Saying

Miss Veda and I were eating lunch today and someone had left a Hallmark Magazine on the counter where we were dining and I was flipping though it enjoying the festive Christmas articles, pictures and such when I came to this ad!
It implies that teachers would like to have this ornament for Christmas. Now as your friend I am going to tell you all that this is not true. Frankly, I don't even like that ornament look at its pointy pencil head and that smirky face! Teachers don't really want ornaments for Christmas, nor do they want mugs or dish towels and please step away from the chocolate covered cherries!
What do we want? Well. . . I noticed this ornament cost ten dollars, now granted that may be more than most people spend, but let's stay in that price range and buy something like gift certificates--think fast food, Dollar Store, Gas, Starbucks! How about real towels--bath towels we all use those and on sale you could get a couple for ten bucks. They don't have to be Egyptian cotton we are not real picky. We always need office supplies. Ten dollars would buy a few packs of copy paper or construction paper or staples or you get the idea. Another suggestion--a good book, most of us are readers and we enjoy a good novel during our Christmas break.
Here's what I would want because after 32 years I can't count the number or ornaments, trinkets, (I'm a #1Teacher) mugs, (I don't drink coffee) dish towels, and boxes of one dollar candy I have received. I want you to make a donation to an organization like the Imagination Library or the Friends of the Library in my name. Buy a book for the school library for me or better yet a nice card with a note that says Thanks, just like the one I got this week from a little sixth grade girl who wrote a note thanking me for teaching reading to her and wishing me a Merry Christmas! I'm Just Saying. . . .

1 comment:

House Queen said...

Oh.....so......true!!!! The gift cards are great!